This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
The closing date is on 26.10.2020. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Apply for other jobs below:Apply for Government jobs
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Operating Division : Transnet ( RME )
Position Title : Master Electrician
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : RME:Rail OHTE
Location : Elandsfontein
Reporting To : Engineering Manager
Grade Level : H3
Reference Number : 50015881
To install and repair 3kV DC, 25kV AC, 50kV AC Traction Substations; 11kV AC Distribution Substations, and Telecontrol as
result of planned or unplanned construction work to ensure that TFR operating division meet their goals and objectives.
– Perform Installations of 3 kV DC, 25 kV AC, 50 kV AC and 11 kV AC, transmission sub-station and telecontrol unit
– Perform substation installations of primary circuit breakers, isolators, Lightning arrestors, battery chargers, rectifiers,
transformers, flying bus bars, motorised isolators, interlocking and negative returns
– Do high voltage cable joints and terminations
Wire from complex panel wiring diagrams and AC/DC panels
- Read, interpret and understand electrification layout and associated drawings, Display good fitness level and health.
Understanding functioning of hand tools machines.
– Assess and monitor condition of hand tools and measuring tools.
– Be able to observe that an occupation is granted and permit book is signed prior to commencing work.
Qualifications & Experience:
– Qualified electrician with at least 5 years’ experience in electrical power supply field
– Experience in maintenance/construction environment
– Wireman’s license from Electrical Contracting Board an advantage
– Be in possession of a C code driver’s licence, be competent and prepared to drive such vehicles.
– In possession of a valid category C green certificate of Authority(Electrical power supply (EPS) and Electrical Traction
– Be eligible to be assessed and practically passed out on 3 kV and 11 kV AC substation within 3 months of appointment.
– Knowledge of safety legislation
– Electrical maintenance/construction
– Electrical systems
– High voltage safety instructions
– Understanding Material and equipment
– Act 85 and regulations
– Good Communication and negotiation skills
– Good fault finding and reading of schematic diagrams
– Identification of tools and material for specific sub-station components.
– First Aid and fire fighting
– Understand method statements, safe working procedure
– Technical interpretation skills.
– Analytical and problem solving ability
– Time management
– Team player and appreciate diversity.
“NB: The candidate must meet the minimum inherent health requirements of the job”
“NB: No emailed applications will be accepted”