Transnet and its Operating Divisions (ODs) are committed to the transformation of the
workplace and the constitutional imperatives enshrined in the Employment Equity Act. Transnet will give
preference to suitably qualified applicants who are members of the designated groups defined as Black
people (including African and Coloured Females of all ethnic groups and people living with disabilities
who are citizens of the Republic of South Africa by birth or descent, or become citizens of the Republic of
South Africa by naturalisation; in line with Transnet and its Operating Divisions Employment Equity
Apply for other jobs below:
Apply for cleaning jobs
Policy and Plan.
Only applications received via the careers portal will be considered, i.e. no email applications will be
Please email Careers-Help@transnet.net should you have any technical/ access issues.
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
The closing date is on 07.12.2020. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
Operating Division : Transnet Pipelines
Position Title : Specialist, Cathodic Protection
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Engineering
Location : Durban
Reporting To : Manager: Pipeline Integrity
Grade Level : F
Reference Number : 40001182
The provision of cathodic protection subject matter expertise in the effective and efficient execution of cathodic protection
capital and working projects, the compilation of specifications, tender documentation, policies, standards, & procedures to
ensure a continued, updated, adequate, fit for purpose, functional cathodic protection network for the safe transportation and
distribution of liquid petroleum, crude products and gas for TRANSNET PIPELINES.
The above include SME actions into high level / detailed investigations, problem solving, cathodic protection consulting to
other Major capital projects, pump station / workshop support and Research & Development.
The managing, supervision, motivate and lead subordinate/s as to achieve the above mentioned company goals
* As a Subject Matter Expert the incumbent is expected to solve very complex or detailed problems to ensure that the
pipeline network is protected against corrosion by means of cathodic protection at all times and is therefore available for
* As a Subject Matter Expert the incumbent is expected to execute complex or difficult investigations, where the solution or
the root cause is often unique and the trail of evidence is often hidden or obscured by others.
* The solving of complex technical CP defects/failure/problems which in most instances require intensive investigation so that
solutions are found within short times spans and must always be cost effective using the knowledge and experience required
for the post
* The incumbent must be able to deal with Contractors, Consultants and Suppliers under difficult, problematic or even dispute
* Must be able to influence other Project Managers on major capital projects, as to ensure that all standards, requirements
and shortcomings are included in terms of the electrical discipline.
* The incumbent need to motivate and lead workshop Managers / Supervisors and depot technical staff as to achieve fast
turnaround times during electrical emergency situations.
* The incumbent must Manage, Supervise, lead and motivate subordinate /s and delegate applicable works as to achieve
* Attend Corrosion Committee Meetings and serve on Committees as required. (e.g. SAECC, SABS)
* Have to deal with planed and unforeseen activities:
* Action plans / 24 months / All foreseen projects and activities are planned or project managed within the time constraints
applicable to each activity. This includes submission of action / budget plans and human resources required for the
execution of the various projects / activities as well as consideration for priority. The majority of project planning involves a
24 month time horizon due to budget timing and long delivery cycles, but also has to fit into longer term cycles. Budgeting is
done across two financial years for longer projects etc.
* When Planning particular upgrade or maintenance works, the incumbent needs to take account Operations schedules /
shutdowns and other disciplines such as Instrumentation, mechanical, health & safety, fire and risk items.
The incumbent must be able to organize contractors, suppliers and internal support staff as to achieve tight project planning
schedules and works during emergency situations. Emergency situation example: Friday evening 20H00, a lightning strike at
Meyerton P/S causes cable and switchgear failure resulting in an unplanned shutdown on the Avtur pipeline. The incumbent
must now immediately investigate the damage and determine (SME) the equipment & level of expertise required to repair the
damage as quick as possible in order to hand the station back for operations. The incumbent must organize and motivate
contractors and support staff to immediately travel to site as start the required works. The incumbent must organize and
determine commercial aspects as to ensure reasonable pricing, fair quotations and completion time frames. The incumbent
will organize, supervise, motivate and perform commissioning and testing before handing the station back for operations.
3. DIRECTING AND SUPERVISING
Directing, Motivation, supervising and acting as Team Leader of Workshop managers, Electrical Supervisors, Electrical
Technicians, Contractors, Suppliers and Consultants as to achieve company goals. The incumbent must develop
relationships as to motivate others in order to perform emergency works and to achieve Project / Contract outcomes.
People skill is a requirement of this job in order to motivate, direct and lead subordinate/s in terms of related electrical works.
The incumbent will also perform general human resources activities e.g. performance appraisals, day to day subordinate
4. MONITORING AND CONTROLLING
Monitor and control of available financial resources for Capital and Working projects under control.
Monitor and control project progress.
Monitor project quality, commission / test and accept equipment on shared Technical Capital projects.
Monitoring and control of delegated works to subordinate/s.
Qualifications & Experience:
– Diploma or degree in Electrical Engineering.
– Code 8 (B) Driver’s License – Manual Transmission
– General Electrical – 6 years minimum with a Diploma
– Cathodic Protection (CP) – 6 years Minimum with a Diploma
– Total experience of 12 years OR
– General Electrical – 4 years minimum with a Degree
– Cathodic Protection (CP) – 4 years minimum with a Degree
– Total experience of 8 years
– The above experience must be in a steel pipeline environment
– NACE CP Level 1
– ANS 10142 Installation Rules.
– NACE CP Level 2 or higher.
– Knowledge of DC Traction.
– In Depth Knowledge of Cathodic Protection and related subjects.
– TRANSNET PIPELINES policies and procedures.
– Pipeline Operations.
– SAP PM.
– Transnet Pipeline business e.g. Contracts, Procurement, Tender procedures, etc.
• Electrical Standards, specifications, instructions and codes e.g. SANS / IEC
• Electrical Equipment (LV Transformers, rectifiers, etc.)
• Legislation: OSH Act, General Machinery regulation & Hazardous area regulations.
• Maintenance and maintenance management.
• Project management.
• Exceptional understanding and ability to manipulate Schematics diagrams and typical design drawings.
• ISO 9001
• Problem solving of high level electrical problems.
• Analytical thinking.
• Investigating most complex electrical / cathodic protection fault conditions and design criteria.
• Communication and negotiation during normal and high demanding periods e.g. emergency conditions.
• Managing / Supervisory
• Liaison/networking with external and internal staff under normal and high demanding periods e.g. emergency shutdown or
• Report Writing
• Time management
• Practical application of Electrical engineering