This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Apply for other jobs below
Department of Public Works Vacancies
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
The closing date is on 21.12.2020. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
Operating Division : TPT POD Corporate H/O
Position Title : Senior Construction Manager
Employee Group : Non Permanent
Department : Capital Project
Location : Various Locations
Reporting To : Principal Project Manager
Grade Level : F
Reference Number : 20200921
To manage,co-ordinate and control all aspects of onsite working on multi-disciplinary projects executed by a single or various
entities inside or outside Transnet Port Terminals, and to ensure successful planning, management, execution and
implementation of projects utilizing appropriate knowledge and skills to meet the scope, time ,quality, cost and operational
*Please note that the position will be based in Saldanha*
1.Developing detailed construction management plans for all contractors performing construction on multi-disciplinary
projects to ensure project delivery in accordance with agreed schedule.
2.Developing, managing and ensuring correct project initiation, planning, execution, control and close out are implemented.
3.Managing large multi-disciplinary projects ensuring compliance with quality standards, delivery of projects within time and
4.Identifying possible projects risks and providing solutions to mitigate risks.
5.Compiling and communicating performance reporting of contractors to the Principal Projects/Construction Manager.
6.Ensuring project improvement strategies incorporating lessons learnt are recorded and communicated.
7.Developing construction managers that are ring fenced per specialist field for the onsite management of the works on large
8.Supporting and advising the Construction Execution Teams with technical queries regarding multi-disciplinary projects
9.Evaluating construction methods and analyzing information to choose the best solution.
10.Communicating with Project Managers, Senior Project Managers and Principal Project Managers.
11.Co-ordination of the various contractors’ works and activities on large multi-disciplinary projects.
12.Evaluating information to determine compliance with standards.
13.Resolving conflict and negotiating with others regarding on site activities.
14.Interpreting the meaning of onsite information for others.
15.Guiding, directing and motivating the Construction Executive Teams, including but not limited to Construction Managers
16.Undertaking Construction readiness review of key projects documentation.
17.Ensure that Constructability is reviewed and approved prior to acceptance of design solution.
Qualifications & Experience:
– National Diploma in a relevant discipline in a built environment is required. Bachelor’s Degree is an added advantage.
– SACPCMP certification required
– PMP Registration is an added advantage
– 8 years experience in construction/ project management experience
Working Conditions/Inherent Requirement of the job
– Drivers licence code 8
– Work is normally performed in a typical project site environment
Strategy and Sustainability
– Strategic Thinking
– Commercial Awareness
– Inspiring People
– Managing Talent
– Leading Change
– Embracing Diversity
Business Performance and Delivery
– Lead Business Performance
– Strategic Decision Making
– Business Acumen
– Communicating Effectively
– Collaborating and Networking
– Service Orientated
– Persuading and Influencing
Corporate Governance & Compliance
– Leading Safety Practice
– Leading Risk Management
– Learning and Applying Expertise
– Emotional Intelligence
– Vigour & Personal Drive
– Negotiation skills
– Time management- capable of meeting tight deadlines
– Customer focus
– Budget control
– Computer literacy
– High ethics
– Able to work under pressure and on several projects simultaneously
– Interpersonal skills and relationship management
– Presentation skills
– Report writing skills
– MS Project
– Enthusiasm, tenacity, innovation, drive and determination
– Analytical, problem solving skills and results driven
– Knowledge of Transnet operations
– Knowledge of Port Safety Environment
– Knowledge of Port, Marine environment and related services
– Sound knowledge of relevant Legislation
– Standard Engineering Codes of Practice
– Project engineering, management and execution
– Contract management and administration
– Estimating and tendering procedures
– Budgeting and financial control
– Quality, Safety and Risk management