This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet.
Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
The closing date is on 04.02.2021. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Operating Division : Transnet Freight Rail
Position Title : Chief People Officer
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Human Resources
Location : Parktown
Reporting To : Chief Executive: Transnet Freight Rail
Grade Level : B
Reference Number : 50016159
• Lead the development of the Human Resources Strategy and plan/s that ensures that all TFR employees implement in
their operational areas the overall Transnet Group strategic objectives.
• Provide strategic leadership in the development and execution of the people management strategy in support of the
strategic direction of the company, and enable optimal deployment and utilisation of people.
• Develop HR strategies and programmes to drive and enable business renewal and growth, and the establishment of an
inclusive and high performance culture.
• Lead and guide the development of a positive employment value proposition and employer brand that will facilitate the
attraction and retention of talent and scarce skills.
• Champion the performance management systems working with the CE and Transnet Group to ensure that remuneration
and incentives are applied with the view to improve operational performance of the company.
• Lead and co-ordinate on behalf of Transnet negotiations with labour unions on matters of collective bargaining with the view
PLEASE NOTE: Transnet, its employees or representatives never ask for a fee from job seekers. Any such requests are fraudulent.
to create better working environment for the employees.
• Drive the implementation of collective bargaining agreements to improve employee relations.
• Lead HR administrative processes and systems to ensure efficiency in the provision of payroll, benefits management,
pension, social services (health, education, other) for the employees in the best interest of the company.
• Champion the administration of disciplinary processes in a speedy and fair manner.
1. A human resource plan that covers key technical skill acquisition and retention with a particular focus on the corridor
2. Relevant and market related performance management system that sets out a performance management framework that
is linked to the company’s overall targets.
3. A people development strategy and plan that prioritises areas of operational weakness and general growth challenges.
4. Effective labour relations structures that deals with disputes with employees.
5. Management information base and strategy for the bargaining process that protects the financial sustainability of the
6. A proactive plan and programme for dealing with social challenges faced by the employees with respect to the areas of
health and wellness, counselling, amenities, education and housing.
7. A periodic satisfaction survey of employees aimed at fostering improved working environment.
8. Agreements with key institutions that are central to the core technical and operational skills in the rail industry to provide
continuous throughput of skills required by the company.
9. A cost effective and market related benefits system that is continuously benchmarked with other industry players.
10. Reports on how the human resources challenges and needs are addressed.
Qualifications & Experience:
• B Degree in HR or related discipline / qualification
• Post Graduate qualification will be an added advantage
• Minimum of 12 years’ experience working in a large organisation of which at least 5 – 7 years at a senior managerial level
• Experience in leading major transformation within an organisation
• Requirement of trust and honesty in the handling of finances as per the National Credit Act Amendment 19
• Must undergo Lifestyle Audit
• Drivers’ license code 8
• Travel as required by the business
Strategy & Sustainability
• Formulates strategies and business plans to achieve the overall organisations direction.
• Keeps abreast of internal and external factors that can impact the business.
• Generates new ideas or solutions by thinking “outside of the box”; reviews current processes or systems and identifies
ways to optimise them.
Ethical & Inspirational Leadership
• Leads by example. Inspires, motivates and empowers team members to do their best.
• Provides clear direction and sets performance standards/requirements for the team.
• Leads and directs change initiatives.
• Leads and promotes equal opportunity and has an appreciation for diversity in the workplace.
Business Performance & Delivery
Lead Business Performance:
• Leads the business to be more efficient and effective.
Strategic Decision Making:
• Is decisive and takes full accountability for decisions.
• Understands and deal with various business situation using obtained knowledge and a broad spectrum of expertise.
• Thinks in a systemic way but is open to new approaches.
• Communicates the business strategy and objectives in a clear and manner.
Collaborating & Networking:
• Build wide and effective relationships with people inside and outside of the organisation to help achieve the organizations
goals and objectives.
• Leads by example; strives for a customer centric culture where everyone acts with the customer in mind.
Persuading and Influencing:
• Is able to persuade and influence those around him/her for the benefit of achieving the organizations/department goals and
• Identifies and influences key decision makers using strong persuasive techniques and creates strong personal impression
that leads to buy in from others.
Corporate Governance & Compliance
• Always work in the best interest of the organisation and aligns business practices to the ethical obligations and good
Leading Safety Practice:
• Leads safety practices by communicating, enforcing and supporting all safety standards and activities.
Leading Risk Management:
• Identifies areas of risks and implements corrective actions to mitigate the impact of risks to ensure overall sustainability.
Learning & Applying Expertise:
• Dedicated to continuous learning and self-improvement.
• Manages pressure effectively and copes well with criticism and setbacks.
• Is aware of own leadership styles and is able to adapt style to enhance team and business performance.
Vigour & Personal Drive:
• Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm. Works hard and shows energy and persistence to achieve high
quality results. Is a role model for others who strive for personal excellence.
“NB: The candidate must meet the minimum inherent health requirements of the job”.